Tuesday, October 10, 2006

How about just old world?

At least Amber was forewarned about Dud. Sorry, Dude. It took me a few dates before I learned that he has a unique definition of "old world values."

Today I received a wink from a man who was simply "old world." He is in his late 60s and, I thought, surely be someone's great-grandpa. My initial thoughts quickly scaled from shock and horror to eeeeewwwwwwww. Great-grandpas aren't supposed to date. I think it's illegal. Or should be based simply on the unpleasant visuals it fosters.

My thoughts then moved toward curiosity and amusement. I phoned Amber to share the moment.

According to his profile, great grandpa probably didn't want to have more children. (Wise decision, I thought.) The two children that he does have no longer live at home. (Well I would hope not.) He has an outdated pilot's license. (Is this supposed to be appealing? He didn't mention the status of his drivers' license). He graduated college in 1965. (I have no personal recollection of that era.) He enjoys partying to a degree. (I just can't go there with this.)

After writing that he doesn't like yelling in arguments, he writes "If you are a screamer do not contact me. " Hmmm . . . are we talking about the same thing?

Perhaps that's my real point. People from different generations use different words and terms, have different interests, and have different benchmark memories. What does he think we could possibly have in common? What would make him think that I would find him more appealing than men, say, my own age? What is he thinking?! Amber and I finally concluded: he's not thinking.

This does beg the question: Why are most men on this particular dating website looking for women half their age . . . or 10-15 years younger? Why are men not interested in women their own age?

Men reach their sexual peak much earlier than do women. Men generally do not live as long as women. What makes men think they can keep up with younger women in any sense of the word?

Any man interested in women his own age gets a butt-load of kudos from me. In fact, I find that very sexy. To me, that seemingly small geture means a guy has confidence in himself as a man. No signs of mid-life crisis. Yes . . . definitely very sexy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home